9.10.14

Week Five

This week I thought a lot about the major I am trying to get into, Public Relations. I interviewed for the program about a week ago and am currently waiting to hear back. Obviously it's been on my mind a lot as I've prepared for the interview, but I've also been thinking about it as I brainstorm ideas for my briefing article.

We were prompted to choose our topic based on a current event or issue in our field. What immediately came to my mind was the issue with Chick-Fil-A a couple years back. The president made remarks about gay marriage and made it clear that he did not support it. This caused a lot of backlash against the company and the PR representatives were largely responsible for repairing the good reputation that Chick-Fil-A is usually known for.

This has all made me think about how careful we need to be about what we say. Whether that be with those around us, people we communicate with online, things we post on social media, etc. Our words often stick with people longer than we think. Things posted online literally stick to the Internet forever.

As a hopeful PR representative, I must especially be careful of this and make sure I always choose my words carefully. I want to be genuine, but I can be genuine and tactful at the same time. 


3 comments:

  1. Sometimes a small comment goes a long way! Everyone knows that bad news spreads faster than good news. When's the last time the news showed a story about a good deed someone did? The news is mostly about what crimes have been committed.
    My topic is actually on the negative effect of social media on business and how a small complaint can go a long way. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our words really can really walk a fine line with todays environment. To me, I see that it is harder to share our opinions openly among people. Every word we say can has the capability to tip an iceberg. At the same time, our words have the ability to produce amazing results. Good luck with PR! I have a close friend who majored in PR and has been able to do amazing things! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great point. It seems to be difficult sometime to be genuine yet say what needs to be said. Finding a tactful way to say it takes practice and is a great skill. It makes it harder to share opinions but not impossible, and I always try to imagine how I would say things if I knew the whole world was going to hear them. Good luck with that though!

    ReplyDelete