16.10.14

Week Six

This week was hard. I had a doctor's appointment, which is never fun. I had like seven papers due... not fun. I had printer problems in one of my classes and had 10% deducted for turning it in electronically, wha wha wha. I also had the hardest time getting my briefing article and the graphic and the sources to all fit on one page...I threw the biggest fit with Microsoft Word.

To top it all off, I just found out this morning that I made a huge mistake on one of my midterm exams for another class. I walked into class and my professor asked if he could see me outside (never a good sign). We went outside and he told me that I completely forgot about one of the essay sections of my exam. It wasn't that I had an incomplete thought written down or grammar mistakes...I just didn't even fill it out. Like what?! Who does that?! I was so embarrassed and so frustrated with myself. I had studied so hard for the exam and even got 100% on the photo/artist id section. However, because I had left that one essay section empty, my grade was brought down a whole letter grade.

So what? My grade's a tiny bit lower. I'm lucky that I did okay on the other sections of the exam. But I still can't stop thinking about that one section that I missed. How did I skip over that box entirely? Could I have gotten a perfect score if I had filled it in? I can't stop thinking about the exam and this dumb, dumb mistake.

Now what? This is a lesson to me on paying attention to detail. Especially with our grammar section, we are taught that every little detail is important. Sometimes it's just a comma or quotation that's missing, but it changes the entire meaning of the message. This attention to detail applies to so much: work, personal life, and definitely school. This stinky situation has taught me to pay attention to these things and go over my work again, even if I am confident that nothing is missing, because you just never know.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty good at making those careless errors on tests and assignments as well. I always feel so frustrated with myself for making such dumb mistakes. I agree that MCOM is teaching me to pay better attention to those details that I sometimes skip over. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete