18.9.14

Week Two

I have thought a ton this week about the next ten years or so and what my future holds. More specifically, I've been thinking a lot about where I see myself professionally. I want to have a family so bad but I also would like to spend a couple of years in the workforce before dedicating 100% of myself to my kids. A lot of this consideration has been triggered by our most recent discussion on networking.

I love people so much and I love the idea of networking; having a support group of colleagues and classmates that act as connections in the workforce and even in personal life. I feel strongly that every person has something to learn from the people around them and that it is so important to keep a strong network. It is easy to sometimes receive help or advice from someone just once and not follow-up with them or keep the relationship going. Although that may be beneficial in the short-term, it will be most beneficial to keep tabs on that contact and follow-up with them in the time that follows. That is how a strong network is maintained.

After Skyping with our guest speaker on Wednesday, I started thinking of people I have met here at BYU who would be good contacts for a future in PR. Two people especially stood out to me: a Communications professor I took a class from previously and a PR professional who's lecture I attended last week. I introduced myself to him and we talked some, but I did little to make sure we stayed in contact.

About an hour ago I decided to take my own advice and apply it to my life right now. I found the speaker on LinkedIn and connected with him there, as well as sent him an email thanking him for his lecture. It really was such an incredible presentation and I would love to stay in contact with him if I have questions later down the road about job positions or just general career advice.

So here's to networking! And not just to get stuff from other people...but to help others and build strong relationships with all different kids of people. Remember: networking is about exchange. You give to others what you have to offer and they may have something to offer in return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment